Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A " Jedi" funeral..................



This was sad weekend for me since I had to bury my cousin this week in Culver City. It was a sad occasion because of the fact that I was very close to this person and they were the same age. I had to prepare myself for what I thought was going to be a very sad and painful day. I got to the church and I must say, it was a nice service. The priest was a wonder man and gave a deep heartfelt service.
But I notice something strange about some of the people who attended the service. Especially a certain group of people sitting in the far left towards the from of the front of the church. This “special” group of people were wearing what I thought were robes which was quite strange or a funeral. So when the service was over I looked over to see these robe wearing people and to my surprise and shock I could not believe it. They were not wearing robes………..it was JEDI outfits!!!
This “special” group of people were “Star Wars Geeks” who came to the funeral to pay their last respects to my cousin “ Obi Won Rocmonamon”
( which I guess was my cousin’s Star Wars Geek name). From the information I received from my uncle. My cousin was huge “Star Wars” fan and had a reputation among the “Star Wars Geek” community in Los Angeles. My cousin was considered a “true jedi” and was respected among this particular group.
These people were not kids……they were adults. Not one young one among the group ( ages range from 25-50). In fact this group was considered the “ elite group” of jedI . The elders you Star Wars geeks may call them. It my cousin wish to have his friends dress in their JedI uniforms during the service and had requested a “Jedi funeral”. But my aunt was not having that so a compromise was met……….they would have a normal funeral and they could wear their outfits.
So after the burial. The jedi knights circle the casket and I swear to God. Pull out the light sabers and began to do this lame ass ritual chanting and shit and waving their light sabers as if they were “REAL” swords. They even brought a fucking boom box to play the “Jedi Theme”. Of course you know my family as well as other humans attending the burial were running back to their cars in hope that the other people placing flowers on their love ones gravesites would not place them and these jedi geeks at the same service.
Now I won’t even get into the wake service dinner. Let’s just say this……….there were more geeks there than at my “Duran Duran” high school fan club back in the 80’s. All dressed in their "SW" gear and looking fabulous. There was Darth Vader telling a Storm Trooper that the “ Del Taco on La Cienega has the most shitty service. Oh and lets not forget Yoda at the buffet table complaining that their was only “human food” being served and he had a craving for “star toads” from the planet “ Olivion”. And of course my cousin requested that the funeral be a celebration of new life and not a mourning for death. There was music, and nothing is more heart warming than to see Princess Irabu and Darth Vader doing the “bus stop” to “Touch It” by Busta Rhymes. And Yoda trying to get a female Storm Troopers 7 digits.Yes, this is the life of a "SW" geek who is a grown ass adult!! I hope in my life time NEVER to witness anything like that again. But then again I hope my cousin is smiling . Farewell Obi Won Rockmonamon. May the force be with you.........and please take your fucking Star Wars geeks with you as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow hate much..... your loved something and wanted it at his funeral and all you can show your starwars-phobic attitude towards his death wow what love.....